I’m currently travelling around Europe and was lucky to spend a week in Croatia from the 9th to the 16th of June on Contiki’s Croatia Island Escape Plus tour, visiting Makarska, Korčula, Dubrovnik, Trstenik, Hvar and Split. It was honestly one of the best weeks with an amazing group of people, and also an amazing way to celebrate my 24th birthday!
Each town was beautiful, with different things to visit in each city. My favourite city was definitely Dubrovnik as I am a massive Game of Thrones fan! Fun fact, Dubrovnik is home to 19 of the Game of Thrones filming locations. You can find them all here.
Croatia is known for its seafood. I highly recommend making the most of this if you are a massive seafood lover! If you also love pizza, Croatia is known for its Seafood Pizza’s, especially in Korčula. In Trstenik, our group was lucky enough to have a local fisherman go and dive for 100 oysters and then shuck them in front of us – it was definitely the freshest seafood I will ever have the opportunity to eat!
My highlights and must-visits for each city:
- The Rave Cave. The Rave Cave is a nightclub set into the side of a cliff next to the marina in Makarska.
- Grab a cocktail at the Tower Bar
- Climb the Bell Tower.
- Walk the City Walls and Fort,
- Visit Moby Dick for an awesome meal
- Visit the “Shame Steps”, Iron Throne replica,
- Drink at Skybar and Revelin
- Catch a cable car to the top of the hill to the ruined fort.
- Visit a local restaurant and eat fresh seafood.
- Visit the Beach Bar for drinks and swim in the hidden cove at the bar.
- Visit the Hvar Fortress.
- Go for drinks at Hula Hula Bar.
- Visit Crozzies Pubcrawl and get two hours of unlimited drinks for 120 Kuna.
- Visit Diocletian’s Palace
- Swim at Bačvice beach.
My biggest takeaway, it’s the people you meet on these types of tours that help make it an amazing experience; you always make new, life-long friends. So get out there, explore, and just live life to the fullest.
Stay tuned for my recap of my European Whirl Contiki!